Arthur S. Alexion on Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:40:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Email encryption

I saved this thread to read when I had a chance to digest it.  Like the
original poster, I want to learn more about using public key encryption
in my eMails.  I think I understand the theory, but am having trouble
making sense of the mechanics.

One of the problems that I have had in trying to learn this on my own
is that the stuff written on the subject starts with the very basic
concepts and then seems to jump to the esoteric and advanced, with less
available for the "now I understand what its about but how do I get
started using it" crowd of which I think I am a part.  Even this thread
seemed to jump from Gabriel's helpful urls to an esoteric discussion of
mutt key bindings, mail box formats and RFC(?)

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 01:01 pm, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > MS Outlook is bad.  You should use mutt under Linux instead.
>
> This is a terrible answer. If encryption is still too difficult to
> use that people can't use it in whatever (otherwise flawed) MUA they
> like, then we're doing something wrong.

>From the perspective of one just learning, I believe it safe to bet
that someone using Outlook either (1) is required to at work, (2) is
using windows a lot (perhaps because they are required to, (3) perhaps
prefers graphical clients to character based ones.

Not much anyone can do about (1).  If (2) is the issue, Pegasus appears
to have had a good encryption interface through quite a few versions
(can't recommend the encryption module based on personal use but the
client itself is quite nice).  Eudora is also a usable windows client
that supports encryption.  For those like me that fall into category
(3) Kmail seems to work OK, have heard good things about evolution, etc.

I love Mutt's speed, but I'm more comfortable with a graphical front
end.

> It is precisely the hordes of Outlook users who need to be persuaded
> to use PKI encryption and authentication all the time on every
> message in order to show how ridiculous government actions against
> strong crypto really are. Without the masses using it, it's just a
> fringe society that cares about their privacy, and they (we) can be
> silenced.

I strongly agree with this.