Mental Patient on Sat, 27 Jul 2002 17:40:15 +0200

Re: [PLUG] AIC-7869

LeRoy Cressy wrote:
If you are using scsi drives as your boot drives the scsi driver cannot be compiled as a module. The same as your root file system cannot be a module.

AFIK most distribution kernels do not come with scsi compiled within their default kernel, since most people do not want to pay for scsi equipment and most prebuilt systems just have IDE.

For the record I _only_ had scsi drives for a long time. SuSE, RedHat, Dabian and Mandrake all worked. I had an adaptec 2940 and a 7890 that worked fine. Also, you can use an initrd and have the scsi drivers load as modules. This works for filesystem modules also. Just an FYI.