Arthur S. Alexion on Sun, 28 Jul 2002 21:38:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Xlib ?problem?

On Friday 26 July 2002 03:19 pm, Mental wrote:
> in XF86Config in the Modules section (yes, X has modules):
>
> Load "extmod"
>

> restart X.
> xdpyinfo | less
>
> Look for RENDER. Should be loaded now. See google and xfree86.org.

OK.

Added a Module section to XF86Config and Loaded "extmod"

Confirmed that XF86Config-4 already had a module section and already
loaded "extmod".

Restarted X

Did xdpyinfo and still no RENDER.  Now, Kpackage database says that I
have version 4.x of Xfree86, but xdpyinfo says it is version 3.x.
Weird.

Another weird thing happened.  I didn't mention it before because I
assumed I was hallucinating.  When I first looked for XF86Config-4 in
/etc/X11/ I found a directory with that name.  It contained files named
lib[modulename].a. about 4 of them, mostly relating to font functions.
I started to post a note to this thread in reply to Greg Lopp's
admonition regarding the XF86Config-4 file, but when I went back to
check the list of files, the directory was replaced with a file.  When
I loaded the file, it looked like I expected it to with the sections,
etc.

Now the Module section of the XF86Config-4 file contained none of the
font related stuff.  Instead there was a comment that Red Hat 6 and
later handle the font server functions outside of XFree86.  The
XF86Config-4 directory that I saw before only contained font related
files.

None of this, of course, solves the RENDER problem.

BTW, I appreciate the help.  If it sounds like I'm bitchin', I'm
bitchin' at my predicament, not at those trying to help.