Mental Patient on Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:30:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] sendmail woes

Fred K Ollinger wrote:
I have been having troubles w/ sendmail for a while. I have spent hours
reading docs.

Here's my problem.

I installed sendmail under debian 3.0, and I can't seem to be able to send
mail which is funny b/c I figured I'd be able to send mail, but not get
it, if there was any problem at all.

Here's the error from mutt:

Error sending message, child exited 127 (Exec error.).

Pine will just plain crash on me.

This is when sending email to myself on the same machine, the
misconfigured one. I can get mail, but when I reply to it, mutt says mail
was send, but it never gets there. Pine, characteristically, crashes.

Lets take mutt and pine out of the picture for now.

Does sendmail work on the commandline? Can you do something like this:
/usr/lib/sendmail -v user@localhost < /etc/resolv.conf

That should mail you a copy of the resolv.conf.

Does it crash?
If so, what is the error?

Does it work but not deliver?
If so, what is the output of /usr/lib/sendmail -bv user@localhost
what is the output of mailq?

Does it work for root vs a normal user? What version of sendmail? Newer versions have changed some permissions on certain files. Check the website, I belive they tell you how to let it work with cli programs.

If you're havning problems with delivery, try starting up in debug mode.
/usr/lib/sendmail -bt

at the > prompt type ? for a list of commands. /parse is useful for debugging local issues.

When configuring sendmail, what'd you have in your .mc file?