Paul . L . Snyder on Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:03:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] HTML question

On 30-Jul-2002, "Stephen Brown" <sbrown@cubehost.net> wrote:
>Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
>> On Tuesday 30 July 2002 12:45 pm, Nick Uniatowski wrote:
[...]
>>> <link REL="shortcut icon" HREF="favicon.ico" TYPE="image/x-icon">
[...]
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/Author/dhtml/howto/ShortcutIcon.asp
>>
>> From what Stephen  Brown said, I assume the <link> tag is optional, as
>> long as its in the site's root directory.  I assume he's right, because
>> I've been trying to figure out how to do this from View Source and
>> haven't spotted the <link> reference.  Is it optional or browser
>> dependent?

Yep, if you use <link>, the file does not have to be called favicon.ico,
and does not have to reside in the root of your site.  Also, you can
specify different icons for different pages.

> I am guessing that you should put the link tag in, but at least some of
> the browsers must look for it anyway, since I have thousands of 404
> errors for favicon.ico in error logs on my client's websites, when they
> don't have any <link> tags in any of their pages.

There was a bit of privacy brouhaha when the feature was added with IE 5,
as suddenly it was possible to see who is bookmarking your site.  This
probably isn't the case any more - IIRC, IE 6 will display the icon at
the left of its address entry bar as soon as you visit a icon-providing
site, and other browsers are making more extensive use of it as well.

Paul Snyder