Michael C. Toren on Wed, 31 Jul 2002 02:04:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DNS / reverse DNS question

> I'm assuming that somewhere there's an authority for that IP block, and
> that the easiest way to make it work is have that authority be my DNS
> server.

That would be the easiest solution, yes.  I would recommend that you
contact your ISP with a list of IP addresses and hostnames that you'd
like them to resolve to, and ask that they make the necessary changes.

Alternatively, if you're already running a nameserver on your network,
you may want to ask them if they're willing to delegate the reverse DNS
to you in a method similar to the one described in RFC2317, "Classless
IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation", so that you can make future changes yourself.

-mct