Mike Pflugfelder on Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:50:11 +0200

[PLUG] DNS / reverse DNS question

I'm not sure if this is off topic or not, but I've got a question regarding
reverse DNS queries, or more importantly, authority.  My company's ISP has
been good enough to give me 1/2 of a class C block for our organization.  I
believe that the ISP owns these IP addresses, and we're just
borrow/lease/renting them from the ISP.  What I want to know is what needs
to be done to get the reverse lookup to work properly?  Currently, when I
connect from one of my corporate unix servers that has a static DNS entry,
to a unix server at a local college, and I type who, it only tells me the IP
address, not the domain name.  I'm assuming that somewhere there's an
authority for that IP block, and that the easiest way to make it work is
have that authority be my DNS server.  In addition, when I use the windows
tool Visual Route to trace to one of my servers, it tells me that the block
is registered to our company, and that specifically, I am the coordinator
for that IP block.  Does that give me the authority to make changes to the
DNS servers used to resolve that lookup?  If so, where do I go to make those
changes?

Sorry for my ranting...  It's been a long day, and an even later night.

Also, would there possibly be someone available to talk to me directly at
the 8/7/02 meeting?  I hadn't planned on showing up, but for this I'd make
the time.

Thanks
-Mike Pflugfelder