Riffer, Morgan on Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:24:25 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Four 486 PCs I could bring on 8/7/2002 to give away

Last I knew Elemental Inc would accept computers to be recycled for free.
They charge for monitors.  Their website though not very helpful except for
contact info is http://www.eleminc.com/

Morgan
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Leone [mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 11:28 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Four 486 PCs I could bring on 8/7/2002 to give away

multiple seriousity said:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Michael Leone wrote:
>> > I have four 486 PCs I just found while packing up to move. (Moving
>> is  a big pain in the ass,) If I were to LUG them to the next
>> meetting,  does anyone want them? Otherwise I'm gonna trash them as
>> I think
>>
>> Be aware that it's (technically) illegal to just dump computers out on
>> the
>
> Since when?

I know I've received flyers (at more than one job) going back at least 4
years on this topic.

I know IBM has an old PC recycling program -
http://www-916.ibm.com/press/prnews.nsf/crawler/64D3E7BBB37BEF42852569970058
57E0
- altho that costs a few dollars.

> I know of no law yet covering electronics waste.
> There may be rules and regulations for businesses/corporations, but I am
unaware
> of any for individuals, or for that matter specific law regarding
> corportations.  As far as computer monitors and tvs, for that matter,
> they contain several pounds of lead generally, so the lead at least is
> covered as hazardous waste.  When, however was the last time you saw a
> TV or monitor NOT in the trash?

So ... you're saying then that because everyone else does it, we should,
too? :-)

And if monitors (at least) qualify as hazardous waste, doesn't that make
it against the law (even if it's only local recycling codes) to put it out
in the trash (instead of out in the recycling)? And even then, recycled in
the proper manner.

> [For those not in the know, I run a charity non-profit environmental
> organization. see .sig for url for more info, or feel free to email
> Q's.]
>
>> boards in the landfills. You're supposed to call and have them picked
>> up for proper recycling.
>
> Call whom?

I have a number here somewhere of a firm that advertises itself as
specializing in removal/recycling of old computers. I can look it up, if
you like.

Random Thought: