Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 2 Aug 2002 21:13:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Acrobat for Linux?

On Friday 02 August 2002 03:14 pm, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> >   There are a number of intemediate steps available
> >as Reader upgrades, allowing form data to be saved and some other
> >functionality, via *.api plug-ins.
>
>         Actually, there is NO WAY to get Reader to save - "if it
> could save, it would be called Saver" ;).

There was an intermediate windows product called Acrobat business tools
that allowed some annotation and the saving of FDF data.

Then the IRS convinced Adobe to allow them to distribute free version
called Acrobat Fill-In that allowed FDF saves.

Those were both with version 4.  Acrobat fill-in was just the reader
with a few of the form plug-ins.  With version 5, they dropped Acrobat
business tools and replaced it with a product which I understand is
somewhere between Acrobat Fill-In and Acrobat Business Tools.  It
doesn't seem this intermediate product is available for Unix.  Is
anyone working on adding any of this extra functionality into the GPLed
readers/writers like ghostscript or xpdf?