Arthur S. Alexion on Sat, 3 Aug 2002 03:20:08 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Acrobat for Linux?

On Friday 02 August 2002 03:34 pm, Noah silva wrote:
> > >The editing capability seems very limited to me, but looking at
> > how >acrobat works (Capturing printing API...) it isn't surprising.
> >
> >       You haven't used Acrobat (the FULL product) much, have you?
>
> I use it a lot, but mainly for making PDFs of documents.  Printing
> from apps to the PDF writer is the standard way to make a PDF file
> (at least according to their manuals...).
>
> Playing with the editing functionality, it just seemed rather
> limited, but editing PDFs isn't something I do often, since usually I
> will go back to the source to edit the document, and then print off
> another PDF of it.

On the one hand you are right.  PDF editing is limited by design.  It's
supposed to be "digital paper", a final product.  But, even besides the
hyperlinking and the "article" navigation, there are annotations,
stamps and the like, digital signatures, forms and javascript
animation.  The catalog indexer lets you create indexes for complex
searches.  I'm looking for a Unix tool that will allow me to do this.

And BTW. the manual recommends using the distiller to convert
postscript files.  They provide a number of post script headers and
templates to add extra effects and functionality with the distiller.
The PDFWriter is just for quick and dirty conversions, like I can do
with the unix tools I have found so far.