Kam Salisbury on Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:11:23 -0400

[PLUG] Redhat 7.3 on Intel Motherboard install fix.

In an earlier post I had asked for some help figuring out why redhat 7.3
would not install on an older Penguin Computing rackmount server. This box
is a 2U Intel server motherboard with on-board Intel Pro 100B NIC and
AIC-7896 SCSI controller dual processor capable but with only one PIII 700
installed. Nothing special but the normall install process failed to boot.

As a way to help others I have copied my comments to the related tech
support departments of the associated companies. (Adaptec, Penguin
Computing, Redhat Network and Intel Server platform Support) Hopefully they
will do the right thing and update their support documents.

(Please also note that I updated the motherboard's BIOS and had to go into
the BIOS to enable optional ROM scans to boot from the SCSI controller again
since the flashing of the BIOS reset all BIOS options to defaults. The
motherboard is an Intel L440GX with an on-board AIC-7896N SCSI controller.
Be very cautious upgrading the motherboard BIOS unless you have 100%
identified the motherboard and its correct revision otherwise you could end
up with a dead box.)
1. Boot from your Redhat 7.3 CD, type in 'linux noprobe apic' to begin
installation.

2. Select the Intel Pro 100B NIC driver (on-board NIC).

3. Select the 'Old aic7xxx' driver listed under Old Adaptec driver 294x...
it should only take 30 seconds or so to load, anything longer than that and
you either have something mis-configured in the BIOS or your model revision
of motherboard should use the new aic7xxx driver.

4. Select Done to continue the installation process.

5. Be sure to choose lilo as the boot loader as it is easier to configure
and there is more documented support for lilo on the web than the new
default boot loader for Redhat, grub. Select your packages, setup your
server, etc. Be sure to select the kernel-smp because the 440GX board is SMP
capable and it is easier to have that support available now instead of
adding it later. Yes, even if you only have one processor, choose an SMP
kernel located in the individual package options. Also, some documentation
on the web at large does state that Redhat will not boot on this motherboard
without the SMP kernel.

That's it.

IF you ever need to run the Redhat CD in rescue mode start the rescue mode
with 'linux rescue noprobe apic' and choose the same drivers to be able to
mount the file system you have made.

Kam.