gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:40:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] reading old jpeg format?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 10:47:58AM +0200, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I have an image from my former life as a Mac user. Neither gimp nor
> ImageMagick knows how to open it.

What does file(1) think it is?

NetBSD's magic file (we keep it at /usr/share/misc/magic, check
your local magic(5)) recognizes a variety of details about a standard
JPEG, like whether its JFIF or EXIF and, if it's JFIF, tries to
get the dimensions out of the file (though there's no guarantee
that'll work; magic(5) language is far from the TCM it would take
to figure that out, and you probably wouldn't want file(1) effectively
decoding every data file it was asked about).

But after all that, we've got this:

# HSI is Handmade Software's proprietary JPEG encoding scheme
0 string    hsi1    JPEG image data, HSI proprietary

You might want to ask Mr. Internet about that one...

(It's pretty easy to verify this; those should be the first four
bytes in the file.)

> > jpeg. Old format, if there is such a thing, since jpegViewer knows
> > it, but ImageViewer (part of QT) doesn't without some coaxing.

It's of note that jpegViewer (which is quite good, btw, if short on
frills) is quasi-commercial software. (It was free but they wanted
you to buy something bigger, if memory serves.) So they may have had
a license from Handmade Software, whoever they are (or, probably,
were).

> I'm guessing it's some proprietary compression scheme.

Good guess, I think.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net