Kevin Brosius on Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:37:10 -0400

[PLUG] Re: MS proxy

Mental wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 05:31:21AM -0700, Nikhil Bedagkar wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >   The router is behind the firewall and can be
> > accessed only by the proxy server ... and in thsi case
> > it happens to be MS proxy server... my linux is one of
> > the host on the domain(as a NT 2.0 W/S using SAMBA)
> > but the DCs are not authenticating any http request
> > through linux box... so now how i can i go thru this
> > system???
> >

> Depending on how the proxy is configured you're either SOL or you can se
> a socks client.
>
> Speak with the admin. Can windows users use mozilla/netscape/opera? If
> not, expect pain getting linux to work. If so, investigate the socks
> route.
>
> I've never gotten linux to talk through an MS Proxy. I also never made
> much of an effort. Google for it, I'm sure other lists have covered this.

Odd. We appear to be running an MS proxy here.  Generally, you just go
into preferences in Netscape, et al, and setup the proxy settings.  In
Netscape, they are at Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Proxies | Manual
Proxy config | View.

For web only, enter the proxy name or IP in the 'HTTP Proxy' field.
You'll need to get the port from your admin unless they use the
default.  Things like 80, 1080, or 8080 seem common for port.

I've used Netscape on Windows and Solaris through msproxies.  I'm sure
Linux would work the same way here.

--
Kevin Brosius