Mental on Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:59:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: MS proxy

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 10:36:31AM -0400, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> Mental wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 05:31:21AM -0700, Nikhil Bedagkar wrote:
> > > Dear All,
> > >   The router is behind the firewall and can be
> > > accessed only by the proxy server ... and in thsi case
> > > it happens to be MS proxy server... my linux is one of
> > > the host on the domain(as a NT 2.0 W/S using SAMBA)
> > > but the DCs are not authenticating any http request
> > > through linux box... so now how i can i go thru this
> > > system???
> > >

> > Depending on how the proxy is configured you're either SOL or you can se
> > a socks client.
> >
> > Speak with the admin. Can windows users use mozilla/netscape/opera? If
> > not, expect pain getting linux to work. If so, investigate the socks
> > route.
> >
> > I've never gotten linux to talk through an MS Proxy. I also never made
> > much of an effort. Google for it, I'm sure other lists have covered this.
> >

> Odd. We appear to be running an MS proxy here.  Generally, you just go
> into preferences in Netscape, et al, and setup the proxy settings.  In
> Netscape, they are at Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Proxies | Manual
> Proxy config | View.
>
> For web only, enter the proxy name or IP in the 'HTTP Proxy' field.
> You'll need to get the port from your admin unless they use the
> default.  Things like 80, 1080, or 8080 seem common for port.
>
> I've used Netscape on Windows and Solaris through msproxies.  I'm sure
> Linux would work the same way here.

That'd be the socks support you're configuring. MS proxy also has a
proprietary protocol that makes it IE only.

--
Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that
I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal
All this pain is an illusion.

--Tool "Parabola"

CARPE NOCTEM, QUAM MINIMUM CREDULA POSTERO.

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc