Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:44:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] internet access on a windows domain!!

> I have a strange problem here....
>   I have 2-3 linux machines on win2k domain...with MS

Which win2k? There are several of them. IIRC, the 'pro' version is
anything, but. Don't use it. What you want is 'server' edition.

I wasted a weekend trying to get my room mate's win2k to share internet
connections. I finally realized that win2k 'pro' is the crippled versions
for 'home' use. I switched everything so that my linux box is on outside
and I routed his box through mine. Much better.

W/ all that money that win2k costs, you'd think that they'd have sshd
access w/ a single click, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the menus, so
I had to sit in room mate's smelly room for all that time.

> proxy server... connected to CISCO PIX firewall which
> again connects itself to the CISCO router...
>   Now I am on the domain... (using SAMBA) but still I
> cannot access Internet using the system( which is the
> only available)....

I don't think that connecting to the domain is going to get you to the
outside world.

I don't know anything about proxys, though. Someone could help me here. A
proxy isn't really 'on' the internet, right? What are the limitations.
Could I ssh out of this? How to ssh in?

>   So can somebody help me out from this problem???

No offense, but I think you should switch things and put linux box on the
outside and this group could probably help you a lot faster and easier.
After spending a weekend reading docs, I thought I'd get an honorary mcse,
but I feel as stupid as I always was when dealing w/ MS' omnipresence. We
can always use more skills to feed our familes.

good luck,

Fred