Bob Schwier on Mon, 26 Aug 2002 06:40:08 +0200

[PLUG] troubled newbie with debian

Okay, it's midnight and I need to know why the damned installation is
trying to drive me up the wall.  Debian 2.0
First, I have a second cdrom which is a Sony with its peculiar ribbon cord
hanging off of a Sound Blaster 16 card.  The installation program not only
refused to recognize either device as existing but insisted upon hanging
up and trapping itself into a loop.
Second, I think it's the time but I cannot make head or tail of the
instructions to make loadlin work.  As far as I can figure, I need to
somehow con the image file off of hdb1 to c: (hda) so that loadlin, once I
figure out how to write the instruction so it works can do its thing.
I got trapped in a LILO boot the last time I tried which refused to
recognize my configuration changes so it would recognize the DOS
partition.  Had to tediously rewrite the MBR to start over.
That was with Redhat 5.0.
Now to run the dselect program, the installation keeps asking me for a
"block address" for the cdrom.  I can't find any help except a cryptic
statement in the install.txt file to read the tutorial for dselect which I
would if I could find it.  I suspect it's in a nightmarishly long gz file
which is like those tapes they used to provide with VCR's to show you how
to install the thing.  If you can see the tape, you got the thing
installed, at which point you don't need it..  In this case, if I could
unzip the file to a printer, it would seem that I had completed the
installation.
bs