Michael Leone on Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:20:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] troubled newbie with debian

Bob Schwier said:
> Okay, it's midnight and I need to know why the damned installation is
> trying to drive me up the wall.  Debian 2.0

Why 2.o, and not the latest, 3.0?

> Second, I think it's the time but I cannot make head or tail of the
> instructions to make loadlin work.  As far as I can figure, I need to
> somehow con the image file off of hdb1 to c: (hda) so that loadlin, once
> I figure out how to write the instruction so it works can do its thing.

Loadlin? You want to load Linux after booting to DOS first?

> I got trapped in a LILO boot the last time I tried which refused to
> recognize my configuration changes so it would recognize the DOS
> partition.  Had to tediously rewrite the MBR to start over.
> That was with Redhat 5.0.

RH 5.0? Very ancient.

> Now to run the dselect program, the installation keeps asking me for a
> "block address" for the cdrom.  I can't find any help except a cryptic
> statement in the install.txt file to read the tutorial for dselect which
> I would if I could find it.  I suspect it's in a nightmarishly long gz
> file which is like those tapes they used to provide with VCR's to show
> you how to install the thing.  If you can see the tape, you got the
> thing
> installed, at which point you don't need it..  In this case, if I could
> unzip the file to a printer, it would seem that I had completed the
> installation.

You're making your life way too hard, I think. :-) First, if you want an
easier Debian installation, try Libranet or Progeny. Either is much more
modern than 2.0 (aka "potato"), which is now obsolete, being 3 or more
years old (at least as far as the installation media and recognized
devices, I believe).

You mentioned that the Sony was a 2nd CDROM - does that mean you have a
CDROM that you can use to boot from? And is your system modern enough to
support booting from a CDROM? I haven't seen a CD connected to a
controller on a SoundBlaster board in ... a number of years now.

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>

Random Thought: