Steve on Wed, 28 Aug 2002 04:30:08 +0200

RE: [PLUG] Re: MS proxy

Okay... now for my two cents...

First, can you PING the proxy server?  That'll let you know you get to
the proxy okay...

Next, go to a Windows 2000 station and open up IE, Then open
Tools/Options and click on the connections tab.  Towards the bottom
should be a proxy config box... see if it is set to use autoproxy, or if
there is something specified... Note if it is the address you have for
the proxy... note the ports...

Now, someone mentioned proprietary Microsoft stuff... (damn, outlook
auto-caps M$'s name)  Microsoft has a special IP funky client kinda
thing that can let you encapsulate TCP/IP traffic for the proxy over
netbeui or IPX (more likely is IPX)... but I don't think any companies
now a days are not running TCP/IP... and since you are authenticating
against the domain (as a NT 2.0?? client) I assume the servers there
have IP not on them...

At that point, I'd call the yahoos that set up the proxy server... ask
them if they turned on the socks part, and try that... or if they have
the authentication piece turned on... or if they can just open your
address in the firewall to let port 80, 21, 443 (SSL?) through for you
if you need it for your job...

-Steve