Sean Finney on Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:11:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Quake III

yeah, i got myself a copy of q3 from microcenter for $1.99.  can't beat a
bargain like that!  i should add that it comes not only with q3, but in
this snazzy (but flimsy) silverish tin, and with an 'evaluation' copy of
suse linux too!  who'd have thought, 2 dollars gets you a classic deathmatch
game and an operating system to boot.

anyway, wrt the install, it *does* give you the option of where to put the
installation, but i can't verify for sure that it doesn't sneak anything
anywhere else, since the only computer i could play this on wasn't mine.

what i'd do is (as an unpriviledged user) tell it to install somewhere like
/tmp/q3 and see how it goes.  if it doesn't complain, then it's most likely
not trying to sneak something into /usr et c.  I'd still be wary of
installing this as root though, maybe what would be in order is creating
a directory /usr/local/q3 and chown it temporarily to an unpriviledged
user, install it, then chown it back to root.

--sean