Bill Jonas on Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:20:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Quake III

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 06:13:12PM -0400, Gregson Helledy wrote:
> I am running Libranet 2.0 (Debian-based).  Maybe I'm revealing my ignorance
> but is there any way to "squeeze" QIII into a .deb (like checkinstall does
> for tarballs)? I also have my old SuSE partition still around, which I could
> try installing it on first, but I'm not sure what that would get me.

What I did was run the installer script and tell it to install into
/usr/local/games/quake3.  Worked fine for me.  I ran it as root, though,
so I'm not 100% positive that it didn't put something somewhere else.
I'm fairly certain it didn't, though, since I've backed up /usr/local
and restored it onto a fresh install and everything still worked fine.
I'm probably missing the KDE/GNOME menu entries, but I never launch it
from the menu anyway.  (Tangentially, I tend to launch hardly anything
from the menu.)

I'm running plain-old Debian.

Note that you'll probably need to futz around with the X configuration.
You'll also need to install the proper GL library for your video card.
(Mine, for example, is a Voodoo 3 2000, so in my case I installed the
libglide3 Debian package.)  If you have problems determining which
library you need, reply with the name of your video card and someone
should surely have the answer.  There's some other stuff you might need
to do, too, assuming your distribution hasn't set it up for you already;
check Time's how-to document pages for more info.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin