Arthur S. Alexion on Thu, 29 Aug 2002 20:33:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast problems

On Thursday 29 August 2002 12:22 am, Art Clemons wrote:
> I went to using an old 486 as a gateway with a switch connected to
> the 2nd NIC and other computers.

I almost bought a Linksys (or SMC) router today by coincidence,
specifically for sharing a comcast connection.  Art, could you direct
me to more specific instructions as to what you are doing.  I have a
486, with PCI bus and Linux already installed and running, sitting
around that it sounds like I could use instead.

BTW, I'm in Abington, and have had comcast since it first became
available (fall 1997 I believe).  Though it took two technicians to
give up on the initial installation, forcing me to go to a comcast
affiliated computer repair shop at my own (modest) expense, I don't
think I've lost service more than 5 or 6 times in all those years,
sometimes for less than an hour.  Based on all of the complaints I read
about, I count myself as lucky and am a bit afraid to mess with my
setup at all.  I really need to get the other machines on line, though,
especially before school starts.