Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 30 Aug 2002 03:20:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] OT: salary related question

On Thursday 29 August 2002 07:04 pm, christophe barbé wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 06:35:14PM -0400, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> > Depends on your package.  Do you work a 40 hour week?  Are you an
> > employee or a contractor?  If you're an employee, assuming you
> > don't go over your allotted PTO (paid time off), your method is
> > probably reasonably safe...
>
> Yes employee, 40h. I understand that PTO are can become important.

I've always considered hourly pay to be just that and an annual salary
to be just that, meaning that they are apples and oranges.  Hourly
employees get paid for their time which can vary and so will their pay.
 Salaried employees get paid an anual salary that is divided by the the
number of pay periods in the year, usually 52 (weekly), 26 (bi-weekly),
24(semi-monthly) or 12 (monthly).  It doesn't matter how many or how
few hours they work, so the hourly wage is just theoretical (just as
the annual wage is just theoretical for the hourly employee).