epike on Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:00:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] WLAN Recommendation Please

I did but that was a long time ago, using a 802.11 card
(not 802.11b) mounted on a isa-to-pcmcia adaptor.
It was a "webgear aviator" card and it worked great.
I did not need an antenna for it.  the range was
pretty good, reachable all over the house but it
was only 2 mbit max.  Even stronger than my current
802.11b card right now I think.  However the IP
numbers had to be static for some reason (dhcp did
not work) and this had something to do being unable
to setup in ad-hoc or was it infrastructure mode (i'm now
confused what it was).  If I were to try this again
I would go for a standard isa-to-pcmcia because there
are other good uses for a pcmcia slot besides wireless
cards (for example, could be handy in inserting CF/SD
flash memory).

jondz