Arthur S. Alexion on Sun, 1 Sep 2002 05:50:07 +0200

Re: [PLUG] OT: salary related question

On 30 Aug 2002 at 2:13, Paul wrote:

> >I've always considered hourly pay to be just that and an annual
> >salary to be just that, meaning that they are apples and oranges.
> >Hourly employees get paid for their time which can vary and so will
> >their pay.
> > Salaried employees get paid an anual salary that is divided by the
> > the
> >number of pay periods in the year, usually 52 (weekly), 26
> >(bi-weekly), 24(semi-monthly) or 12 (monthly).  It doesn't matter how
> >many or how few hours they work, so the hourly wage is just
> >theoretical (just as the annual wage is just theoretical for the
> >hourly employee).
> >
>  From what I've read, unless employees perform management-type duties,
>
> they are entitled to overtime compensation, even if they are on
> salary.
>  And it doesn't depend on title; it depends on the actual duties
> performed.  So, just as multiplied hourly pay is the anticipated
> yearly pay for an hourly employee, anual salary is the anticipated
> yearly pay for a salaried employee.  It might depend on the state that
> you live in, but I read that the government will enforce overtime
> compensation, even in the form of back pay, if the employee bothers to
> make a claim.  And that claim is based on the anual salary divided to
> determine the equivelent hourly pay.

My salary experience has been as a
"professional".  I had certain
responsibilities, and I was expected to
work as long as it took to get them
accomplished.  If I wanted a raise, I
demonstrated my entitlement by
performing better/more than expected.
If I was efficient/effective/talented, I
could accomplish more in less time.
While extremes were noted, nobody
cared what number of hours I kept.
Nobody, nobody, nobody expected (nor
got) overtime, but bonuses were
expected for exceptional performance.

Ironically, I don't know the law in this
area, but I do know how the real world
functions.  Those of my friends who are
employees with home offices tell me
their experiences are the same.