multiple seriousity on Tue, 3 Sep 2002 05:00:07 +0200

Re: [PLUG] 'ruggedized' keyboard

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 kaze@voicenet.com wrote:

> Hi. I'm building a computer for my daughter, she's only 18 (months).
> I'd really like to find a ruggedized laptop, but... any suggestions on
> a keyboard?

> I found this "Classic IBM PS/2 Clicky Keyboards, Model M" for $4 on
> eBay <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2049534738>.
> I guess it will disturb the downstairs neighbors when it hits the
> floor - and prob wont deal to well with spills, but; anything better
> out there?

You're missing something...  what about when it HITS your kid?? You want
to Strap down anything you come up with, so it can't move an inch.

I'd say even with a ruggedized laptop... the lcd (and system in
general) isn't meant to be hit with PapaChooChooBear again and again.

I'd really look up kid-safety issues.. and remember to strap everything
down to a surface (floor or desk) that is itself either strapped down, or
heavy enough so it won't move.  And I don't just mean velcro, but I'm
talking screw things down.

I'd also worry about cables.

if you're actually looking for something spill friendly I'd think you
might look at some of the rubber keyboards, but you will pay more for
them.  I think it probably best just to never allow her to have beverages
near the computer that way she learns that it's not okay to pour juice all
over daddy's playtoy.

I'd wonder about software and things that will actually garner her
attention and interest...  starting her off with an old Apple II or Mac
that has engaging software that would actually garner her attention and
interest might make sense.. although going linux/unix from the early age
would probably have her coding and kicking our butts in !33+ skillz by the
time she's 5. :D

It would certainly be an interesting project.  I wonder if there is a
baby.sourceforge.net or something project out there somewhere..

I wouldn't so much look for a heavy keyboard, but a more modern one so it
is easier for her to actually type, some of those old ones actually
require some force to press the keys..  And go cheap, assuming that
keyboards will get wrecked. Also, with a 'regular' current keyboard.. you
can get various keyboard interfaces for various games... that fit over the
keyboard to provide input (I have ones such as a tonka brand toolkit and a
starwars one) and come with corresponding games/programs.

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Arts Resource Project : PTMaterials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org