John Lavin on Tue, 3 Sep 2002 05:20:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] FTP Server Configuration

Time said:
> Perhaps I'm just confused, but you can limit access to other's home
> directories and then chroot the lot like:

No, more like I sent a confusing note.  What you're describing sounds
like what I'm doing.

i've got "someuser"  chroot'ed:
/home/someuser  is now his root.

I've also got:
/somedirectory/foo

That I'm trying to symlink in:
/home/someuser/pub $ ln -s foo /somedirectory/foo

But if I FTP as this user and try to cd /pub/foo, I fail.  This is
outside of the user's directory structure and chroot won't let me do
this.

Sooooo - if you've got a directory outside of the user's home dir, how
do you get it to him without giving up the whole system?  In Tom
Thurman's note to try proftpd, it  included a link to their
documentation that I read and found my answer.  The problem's not with
the FTP server, really.  One way the docs say is you can export the
directory and mount it under the user's subdirectory.  This suits my
purposes just fine.  I mount as read-only and we're good to go.

Everything checked out on my internal network, I could FTP over to the
box, upload to the "incoming" directory, I could view the nfs mount,
but when I ssh'd out of my network and ftp'd back in, I can log in just
fine, but when doing ls, I get the following:

ftp> ls
500 Unknown command.

Internally, I can do this just fine and BTW - I have switched to
vsftpd...

I have a copy of ls in /home/someuser/bin.  permissions were 111, I
changed to 555 and still no go.

I think this might be outside the realm of the ftp server since
internally, it works.

nmap shows the following for ftp:
21/tcp     open        ftp

That's it.  Isn't there another port for data?

Thanks,
-john
--
John Lavin