Kevin Brosius on Tue, 3 Sep 2002 14:22:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] FTP Server Configuration

John Lavin wrote:

> 'lo,
>
> I would like to set up a ftp server.  I want to keep anonymous ftp
> off, and have a user log in with a id I provide that has reduced access
> to my system -- say, restrict the ftp server to one partition or
> directory structure.
>
> Haven't found anything that really speaks to this and I was wondering if
> anyone has attempted something like this.
>
> Regards,
> -john

Sounds like you got this working already, but the other option I've
seen, is to go with ssh & rsync/scp.  My understanding is that you get
the added security of ssh for the connection, plus you can limit logins
to those you setup ssh keys for.

Limiting file system access can then be done with standard userid/group
techniques.

--
Kevin Brosius