Fred K Ollinger on Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:59:36 -0400

Re: [PLUG] FTP Server Configuration

> > Sounds like you got this working already, but the other option I've
> > seen, is to go with ssh & rsync/scp.  My understanding is that you get
> > the added security of ssh for the connection, plus you can limit logins
> > to those you setup ssh keys for.
> >
> > Limiting file system access can then be done with standard userid/group
> > techniques.
>
> Pretty much.  I've got them pesky windoze users with no-frills installs
> to worry about which means straight up ftp unfortunately.

I guess they can't install ANYTHING (which is probably good for you), but
I find it hard to believe that WinScp would be too hard to download and
use (there's no install--just a working static binary). I taught a friend
how to use it over the phone. He was a smart friend, though. :)

If it's windows, what about samba? I find that to be most intuitive to
windows users, and you don't need to do anything w/ their boxes to get it
to work.

Fred