Arthur S. Alexion on Sat, 7 Sep 2002 19:00:17 +0200

Re: [PLUG] proprietary software in an open source world

On Saturday 07 September 2002 12:42 am, Art Clemons wrote:
> I'm actually pleased that Linux is getting as much support as it is.
> What's even more amusing though is that apparently things are getting
> ported so that at least one version of Linux works, sadly usually
> RedHat. If the folks with propietary software just learned how to do
> a decent install without demanding that things get put in only
> specific directories, the propietary properties would not be so
> awful.

I don't blame them for choosing Red Hat.  They look at the demographics
and figure that Red Hat has the largest user base.  If you are going to
go with a distro specific compatibility model, it makes sense.  Its the
reason Windows has succeded commercially.  More people use it so that's
what gives developers the greatest market.  Then with more software
available, more people use it and so on.

> I've moved back to WP8.1 for Linux just to avoid the problems with
> Corel 2000/WP9 for Linux.

But I don't care about the Word Processor, I want the spreadsheet and
the database manager.  They weren't part of the version 8 release.