Bill Jonas on Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:34:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Uninstalling Linux

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 12:07:03PM -0400, Lawrence Goodman wrote:
> I went to Caldera's website for instructions and was told to "root run
> lilo -u." Frankly, I am not sure how to do that since I went to the
> terminal typed "run lilo -u" and was told there was no run command.

I think you want, "As root, run 'lilo -u'."  This means to go to a
terminal and log in as root (or enter 'su -').  Then enter 'lilo -u'.

> Also, what do I do after run lilo -u. Can I use Partition Magic to then
> erase the Linux partition entirely. Do I have to rewrite the boot loader
> in anyway?

Probably the easiest way to do this is not to mess with trying to
uninstall LILO.  I'm presuming that you have one MS-Windows installation
and one Linux installation.  The simplest way, IMO, is simply not to
worry about running 'lilo -u' and just boot into Windows, open an MS-DOS
prompt, and enter 'fdisk /mbr'.  This will cause MS-DOS's fdisk to write
a copy of MS's bootloader to the disk.  Then, your computer will boot
directly into Windows as it did before you installed Linux.

At this point, just use PartitionMagic or any other tool you like to
re-appropriate the space that you were using for your Linux
installation.

Hope this helps.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin