eric@lucii.org on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:06:18 -0400

Re: [PLUG] help: kde desktop icons gone

I had a similar problem a few months ago.  It turned out that
the .kde2 directory had been renamed (.Kde2 or something like that) after
the machine was powered off without shutdown (Thanks PECO).

When kde restarted, it created the directory and put the necessary files
in there but, of course, did not know what customizations I had made
on the desktop.

As I recall in this case I simply got out of kde, logged in as root
on a VC and did: telinit 3 (just to be sure kde processes were gone).
then as my user I mv'd the directory back to it's original name.
telinit 5, login, and I was back in business.

May or may not be related to your trouble but I hope it helps.

Eric

--
# Eric Allan Lucas