gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:00:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Dead, unrecoverable Hard drive?

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 07:34:36AM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> fwiw, I have 9 WD drives running that are more than 6 years old and
> have been more or less constantly running.  I used to have 10, but one
> failed a couple of months ago.  First to go.  No problems whatsoever,
> otherwise.  Satisfies me.

Swell. Note that Andre's talking about CRC checking in UDMA. If your
drives are six years old, there's no way they even *know* about UDMA.

I don't think LJ was impugning the quality of Western Digital disk
itself (though I'll be glad to if you'd like someone to), they're
talking about its broken firmware implementation of the CRC
checking defined in the UDMA standard.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net