Guillermo Moyna on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:40:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Dead, unrecoverable Hard drive?

If you want to save your data buy another 80G drive and void the warrenty on both by swapping the control boards.

I second that. That (the control boards) is what failed in all the Seagate drives of a certain model we had (5 of'em suckers). We had to go around swapping control boards to get the data back into better drives. If your data is worth the price of another (identical) 80GB drive, I'd go ahead and do it.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I even had to break any of the 'warranty' stickers to do that on the Seagates. Only problem, you may need torx bits to get to the screws that secure the board to the drive. The Seagates needed a 8 or 9 torx bit.

G.

+==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
Guillermo Moyna, PhD
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
600 South 43rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

 "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
  All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Griffith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:    (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu