Paul on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 07:10:06 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Dead, unrecoverable Hard drive?

If you want to save your data buy another 80G drive and void the warrenty on both by swapping the control boards.

fwiw, here is my ranking of harddrives where '1' is being the best:

1) Western Digital
2) Seagate
3) Maxtor
9000) Quantuum

This is from Linux Journal article http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4247:

The money you spend on a killer SCSI card is wasted without fast drives, so choose two or more 10,000RPM drives from IBM, Quantum or Seagate. One good rule of thumb is to choose the same drives the reputable Linux system vendors are putting in their servers.

If you do decide to save money and go IDE, stick to one of the top three drive vendors mentioned above. Earlier this year, kernel hacker Andre Hedrick, the maintainer of Linux's IDE driver, tracked a user's problem to the fact that Western Digital drives don't do error checking correctly. He posted to linux-kernel, ``WDC drives blow off the CRC check of UDMA.... This is BAD and STUPID.'' Western Digital fired back on their web site with, ``If there's a problem using these drives in Linux the problem most likely lies with the software driver and not the hard drive itself.'' I'm going to believe the kernel hacker over the hardware vendor, and stay away from Western Digital drives.

I read something like this before and have stayed away from WD drives. I would also avoid Quantum drives. I've been wanted to try IBM or Seagate drives, but the wife prefers Maxtor. I would also consider Samsung drives.