gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 19:50:08 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Dead, unrecoverable Hard drive?

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 10:55:57PM -0400, Time wrote:
> 1) Western Digital
> 2) Seagate
> 3) Maxtor
> 9000) Quantuum

That's funny. My experience is diametrically opposite (never met a
Western Digital I didn't end up throwing through a window, and this
email was queued on and sent from an 8-year-old Quantum drive that
has never, in its lifetime, shown any sign of trouble). But I only[1]
buy SCSI.

Drive quality varies *widely*, even within a "trusted" vendor name.
Get a good warranty, at least six identically-sized, SCSI drives,
and do RAID 5 with five of them and keep one as a cold spare. Or
be aware that you *will* have loss-of-data failures of disk. (In
the latter case... you own a tape drive, right?)

[1] Well, except for /music. But that doesn't count, since its
backup is, by definition, just shuffling my CD collection through my
four SCSI CD-ROMs again, which I can do with concerted effort over a
weekend.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net