Paul on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:30:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Dead, unrecoverable Hard drive?

Western Digital I didn't end up throwing through a window, and this
email was queued on and sent from an 8-year-old Quantum drive that
has never, in its lifetime, shown any sign of trouble). But I only[1]

Eight years ago drives had much less capacity and were overall more reliable. Now we have hot rods that blow their engines once in a while. But, now we also have motherboards with built-in RAID 1 (mirroring), lower cost software/hardware-based RAID for SCSI and IDE, CD writers, and networked computers as a norm. There is no reason why anyone can't have some level or backup or redundency to protect against drive failure.