gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 15 Sep 2002 01:10:19 +0200

Re: [PLUG] OT? dual X on netbsd

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 03:27:28PM -0400, Samantha wrote:
> X -configure detects all video cards, keyboard, mouse, etc.
>
> typing X gets X up on one monitor(grey background with the little x in the
> middle) and wakes up the other one(nothing is visible).

Unless I'm mistaken, you'll need to add another screen entry in
wscons. By default, NetBSD ships with four vt100-run terminals
(0-3) and one with no specific owner (to be for X).

So you'll need to edit /etc/wscons.conf, duplicate the screen 4 line
as screen 5. Having done that, a Screen 0 and Screen 1 entry in
XF86Config should Just Work. Maybe.

I've never tried this, though I may soon (got my eye on a 22"
Mitsubishi flat screen CRT...), so let us know how ti goes.

> When I go to the console from where I started X I see:
> S3Virge: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:15:0) found
> s3: No  matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:16:0) found
>
> But in the XFree86Config file there is a device section for both the video
> cards and both the sections have the appropriate BUS ID with it.
>
> Why am I getting the complaints?

Are you sure you saved your new config to the correct file? Try
using X -xf86config to specify it exactly. (But see XF86Config(5)
for the fairly weird way in which that command line flag is
interpretted. It's right at the top of the man page.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net