Kevin Brosius on Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:45:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT? dual X on netbsd

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 03:27:28PM -0400, Samantha wrote:
> > X -configure detects all video cards, keyboard, mouse, etc.
> >
> > typing X gets X up on one monitor(grey background with the little x in the
> > middle) and wakes up the other one(nothing is visible).
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, you'll need to add another screen entry in
> wscons. By default, NetBSD ships with four vt100-run terminals
> (0-3) and one with no specific owner (to be for X).
>
> So you'll need to edit /etc/wscons.conf, duplicate the screen 4 line
> as screen 5. Having done that, a Screen 0 and Screen 1 entry in
> XF86Config should Just Work. Maybe.
>
> I've never tried this, though I may soon (got my eye on a 22"
> Mitsubishi flat screen CRT...), so let us know how ti goes.
>
> > When I go to the console from where I started X I see:
> > S3Virge: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:15:0) found
> > s3: No  matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:16:0) found
> >
> > But in the XFree86Config file there is a device section for both the video
> > cards and both the sections have the appropriate BUS ID with it.
> >
> > Why am I getting the complaints?
>
> Are you sure you saved your new config to the correct file? Try
> using X -xf86config to specify it exactly. (But see XF86Config(5)
> for the fairly weird way in which that command line flag is
> interpretted. It's right at the top of the man page.)

Also, the S3 driver had some known problems with multi-head.  It should
work as the primary card, but might not as a secondary.  I see id's of
15 & 16 for the two cards, with the s3 non-virge card at 16.  By
default, that's the secondary card.

You may be able to configure 0:16:0 as the primary but I'm not sure.
You may need to swap the cards in the machine (so that the s3 appears at
a lower busid).

--
Kevin Brosius