gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:19:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Bind - Question again

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 02:00:02PM -0400, Doug Crompton wrote:
> When I boot my system it uses PPP to dialup the server. This is in the
> inittab - inittab calls a "start-link" script which dials and starts PPP
> etc. This ensures that PPP is always there as it repswans if it is not.
>
> The problem is that bind is run before the PPP connection is established
> in the code and it refuses to listen on any ports that do not exist.

So start BIND after PPP.

You didn't include your inittab listing for pppd, but I'd hazard a
guess you're starting it only at run level 3 and that there's
something starting BIND in /etc/init.d/rc2.d. You probably want to
put pppd at all run levels 2-5 under Linux, if you really want the
connection to always be up. See inittab(5).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net