Doug Crompton on Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:10:17 -0400

Re: [PLUG] fdisk partition problem

I am not sure what happenned but it appears that the disks c/h/s did
change and the partitions, as I wanted, were there once I rebooted.

I susccessfully mounted and backed up my primary drives partitiions to
identical partitions on the backup drive.

I guess the fdisk change of heads and cylinders worked and it just needed
a reboot - which I guess you should do anyhow when you fdisk.

Doug

On 12 Sep 2002, Michael F. Robbins wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 23:40, Doug Crompton wrote:
> > The bios and SuSe's hardware probe show
> > them to both be the same - 16, 63, 38792
>
> See what the kernel IDE driver thinks:
> dmesg | grep ^hda
> (or whatever disk it is)
>
> > Ok so I changed the number of heads and cylinders in fdisk.
>
> You can change the C/H/S values in fdisk?  This doesn't seem like such a
> good idea, as they probably won't be interpreted correctly somewhere in
> the BIOS or ATA bus.
>
> > I setup all
> > the partitions. It looks right - same as hda - I write it. I come back
> > into Fdisk and it has the heads and cylinders screwed up again and thus
> > the partitions are not right.
>
> Probably because changing those values inside fdisk doesn't actually
> change it on the disk.
>
> I had a very similar problem with two identical Maxtor drives a while
> ago.  The problem was that the BIOS was autodetecting one with LBA, and
> the second without LBA.  (Not that the drives had/lacked support for
> LBA, as this is a BIOS feature and is not seen by the drive, but the
> BIOS chose to use it for only one drive and not the other.)  I had to
> disable BIOS autodetection of the drives and set it manually, and it's
> worked fine since.
>
> Michael F. Robbins
> mike@gamerack.com

*  Doug Crompton	   *