Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:11:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Bind - Question again

> PPP starts in run levels 2-5 with a respawned startup script in inittab.

Don't start it that way. Make a file in /etc/init.d/ that will start/stop
it. You can find a skeleton for how to do it in the same dir that's right
for your distro.

> It does not seem to start until late in the boot process however. After
> most everything else is loaded. My default boot is run level 3. I init to
> 5 manually as needed.

The you need ppp to be symlinked from /etc/rc3.d/S70ppp0 to /etc/init/ppp0
(I'm not sure about the number after S).

> I am not sure how to make the order change (as someone suggessted) given
> that this is run from inittab. This is not a big deal since I can make a
> work-around by stopping and starting named after the ppp connection is
> established. There has to ber a better way though. I would think that bind
> could listen on ports that come up after it is running and not have to be
> restarted. I kind of think it is a bind issue.

No, it's a configuration issue. ppp doesn't belong in inittab if it needs
to run before bind.

Fred Ollinger