Doug Crompton on Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:46:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Bind - Question again

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Fred K Ollinger wrote:

> > PPP starts in run levels 2-5 with a respawned startup script in inittab.
>
> Don't start it that way. Make a file in /etc/init.d/ that will start/stop
> it. You can find a skeleton for how to do it in the same dir that's right
> for your distro.
>
> Fred Ollinger

Well the reason I did it this way is to ensure that it would always
reconnect. I presume that inittab is not better insurance though then a
looping script?? If the link goes down it must reconnect. Historically I
have been doing this in inittab and it works well. The difference though
is that I now have only one static IP address and before PPP comes up the
system does not know that address. Before I had an ethernet card that had
that IP address and a netmask of 8 addresses, so bind knew the system IP
before PPP started.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *