Mental Patient on Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:25:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Bind - Question again

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 12:42, Doug Crompton wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
>
> > > PPP starts in run levels 2-5 with a respawned startup script in inittab.
> >
> > Don't start it that way. Make a file in /etc/init.d/ that will start/stop
> > it. You can find a skeleton for how to do it in the same dir that's right
> > for your distro.
> >
> > Fred Ollinger
> >

> Well the reason I did it this way is to ensure that it would always
> reconnect. I presume that inittab is not better insurance though then a
> looping script?? If the link goes down it must reconnect. Historically I
> have been doing this in inittab and it works well. The difference though
> is that I now have only one static IP address and before PPP comes up the
> system does not know that address. Before I had an ethernet card that had
> that IP address and a netmask of 8 addresses, so bind knew the system IP
> before PPP started.

I take for granted that you have a static IP.

Look at the persist option in the pppd man page:

persist
              Do not exit after a connection is  terminated;  instead
try  to
              reopen the connection. The maxfail option still has an
effect on
              persistent connections.