gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:14:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Bind - Question again

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 12:10:19PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> Don't start it that way. Make a file in /etc/init.d/ that will start/stop
> it. You can find a skeleton for how to do it in the same dir that's right
> for your distro.

No, that's less desirable. Starting pppd via /etc/inittab means that
when his line gets hung up it will automatically respawn (and redial).

> The you need ppp to be symlinked from /etc/rc3.d/S70ppp0 to /etc/init/ppp0
> (I'm not sure about the number after S).

No, it'd take just as long. init(8) will start things at the listed
run level in inittab before it ever starts on the rc stuff.

> No, it's a configuration issue. ppp doesn't belong in inittab if it needs
> to run before bind.

It belongs in inittab to lower system overhead on frequent redials.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 12:42:35PM -0400, Doug Crompton wrote:
> Well the reason I did it this way is to ensure that it would always
> reconnect. I presume that inittab is not better insurance though then a
> looping script??

Provided you write your looping script right, and the watcher script
doesn't die, which are two rather large ifs. Even then, you've just
added overhead. init(8)'s already running all the time and already
seeing to things at every run level. There's no reason not to use
it. You're getting a negative reaction to that technique because
many people are familiar with init(8) only by way of /etc/rc and
friends, but there's much more too it, and yours is a totally
legitimate use of inittab.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 12:36:52PM -0400, Doug Crompton wrote:
> yes it does and that would probably work. ip-up and ip-down scripts.

I think this is probably what you want to do: don't start BIND from
rc at all, start it from the ip-up script and stop it from the
ip-down script. (Assuming that it's only useful while the PPP
connection is up, of course.)

As I said, BIND can't listen on an interface that doesn't exist. :^>

> Maybe I am configuring something wrong. Since I will always have a PPP
> static IP should I set that somewhere as my IP address before it gets
> established by PPP. The static IP is obviously set in my PPP options.

Right, but BIND won't be able to see it: it's trying to bind(2) (no
relation) to a socket; that'll simply fail if the IP address you're
trying to use isn't already associated with an interface.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net