Kevin Brosius on Tue, 17 Sep 2002 23:00:53 +0200

Re: [PLUG] OT: Imaginet SPAMambush

"Arthur S. Alexion" wrote:

> I recently got a message from the above server/filtering service
> indicating that a piece of mail that I allegedly sent, with a common
> spam subject ("Work from home . . . ") haad been sent to one of their
> subscribers.  Apparently the way the system works, the spam gets
> intercepted, and a message is sent to the sender to confirm that it is
> a real address.  I would have to manually visit a URL to release and
> finish sending the message.  Apparently a spammer is using my address.
>
> Is this common? I suppose I would have no way of knowing had not this
> filter been set up.  Knowing this, is there anything I can/should do?

Seems to be getting more common.  I've started to get about one of these
a week, over the last month or two.  It seems the spammers are starting
to use real addresses in the from field.  A bunch of the spam filters
aren't smart enough to check the headers and see that you didn't send
it, they just bounce it back to the from address.

--
Kevin Brosius