Kevin Brosius on Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:26:26 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RCN dial-up

Paul wrote:

> > I hate to say this, but I highly doubt this is a RCN problem.  If this
> > was a problem with RCN's DNS's servers, you could not even get through
> > on the phone line, so many people would be calling.  Not to mention
> > they most likely have multiple back ups of each server.  I used to
> > work at a ISP, and the sad fact is, there are a number of things
> > within windows that can inhibit your DNS from working.
>
> When the DNS problems pops up, it is a problem for ANY computer I use to
> connect.  A Linux PC, Win98SE PC, WinXP PC, and WinXP/Linux laptop.
>  They will connect, DNS addresses are assigned, and everything that does
> *not* require name resolution works.
>
> Oh, a simple test.  Next time I have a problem I will use nslookup to
> query RCN's name servers from my Web host's Debian server.  But, I think
> the problem must be between PPP and the DNS servers.

One thing that may be handy, when it's up, write down the DNS IP
addresses.  Also get a couple other addresses, things you can ping when
it's working.

For example, I know my dial-up ISP (netcarrier.com) doesn't block ping
and is very reliable, so I tend to use them often when DNS or other
connection issues come up.

Then, when you start having connection trouble do this (anybody want to
add to this list?):

1) ping your DNS
2) try nslookup on something
3) ping a remote address (using the IP address) outside your ISP (ie.
dotted address for netcarrier.com)
4) ping the named address

4 will only work if you have full connectivity and working DNS.
Failures earlier than that help you determine what's not working...

It might also be handy to have a traceroute copy saved of an outside
address route.  Depending on how your connection is setup, you'll be
able to ping stages in that listing to tell where a connectivity problem
starts.  (That assumes the service provider has a consistent network
setup.  You might find the traceroute changes frequently.)

--
Kevin Brosius