Paul on Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:55:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RCN dial-up

I hate to say this, but I highly doubt this is a RCN problem. If this was a problem with RCN's DNS's servers, you could not even get through on the phone line, so many people would be calling. Not to mention they most likely have multiple back ups of each server. I used to work at a ISP, and the sad fact is, there are a number of things within windows that can inhibit your DNS from working.

When the DNS problems pops up, it is a problem for ANY computer I use to connect. A Linux PC, Win98SE PC, WinXP PC, and WinXP/Linux laptop. They will connect, DNS addresses are assigned, and everything that does *not* require name resolution works.

Oh, a simple test. Next time I have a problem I will use nslookup to query RCN's name servers from my Web host's Debian server. But, I think the problem must be between PPP and the DNS servers.