Arthur S. Alexion on Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:44:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RCN dial-up

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 04:11 pm, Doug Crompton wrote:
> The PPP connection often dynamically sets up the DNS address(es) Do
> you know what DNS addresses RCN supplies? You can put them in
> manually. You can also do an nslookup when connected and set the
> server to a specific address. It could be that the dns addresses are
> just not getting setup properly. You do not have to use RCN's dns if
> you have another one you can use although for speed it might be
> desireable to use theirs if it works.

I may as well ad my 2¢.

Even before I started using Linux, I never used the popular Windows
clients.  Support seemed to be clueless about all but Outlook and
Netscape mail.  You have to convince them that your software works
fine, but you just need their help with info so you can congfigure it,
and get them to talk about addresses and protocols instead of specific
dialog fields that they are familiar with.  It often helps if you are
familiar with THEIR software, and can fake it while configuring yours.