Jeff Weisberg on Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:52:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Perl question

| Perl's interpretter pays attention to locales? Not last I checked...
| They're supposed to be just for display, aren't they?

yes[1], under certain conditions, for certain things, perl[2] does pay
attention to locales. most importantly[3], the program needs to request it:
	use locales;

it effects the obvious functions, such as sort, case conversion, regexes,
number <=> string conversions, and also anytime perl needs to ask "is
this a letter", "is this a number", etc.

see the 'perllocale' manpage.

	--jeff

[1] or so I'm lead to understand from the documentation. I'm quite happy
    with US-ASCII, and have never played with it.
[2] version 5.004 and higher, with more and more i18ning in each version
[3] perhaps more importantly, perl needs to be compiled with such support
    and the underlying OS needs to have the support