Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:19:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Perl question

On Friday 20 September 2002 09:52 am, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 05:16:33AM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > Since the character was a non-breaking space, I couldn't see the
> > problem in line 22.  My erroneous guess was base on the fact that
> > the 22nd line after the code started used `` instead of the double
> > quote (") and I thought that mi8ght be the problem.
>
> Wait, you mean it was backticked? That's a shell escape.
>
> You probably don't want to be passing 8-bit ASCII to anybody's
> /bin/sh, even when it's actually bash...

(I may be using the wrong terms here, but) It was in screen output
section which was meant to provide the person running the script with
some explanation about what was about to happen, etc.  When the author
wanted to put stuff therein in quotes, he used two "back accents" ( ` )
as leading quotes and two single quotes ( ' ) as closing quotes,
presumably because a real double quote ( " ) would have been
misinterpreted by the script.